Sometimes people find it difficult to commit a set time for volunteering. You can still get involved!
The easiest way to get involved in volunteering is to commit a ’Random Act of Volunteering’. A Random Act of Volunteering, or RAV, is a simple act that is done to benefit others. It doesn’t have to cost any money - it is simply an act of kindness. People of all ages can carry out a Random Act of Volunteering.
30 Random Acts of Volunteering
- Donate used clothes to a charity shop
- Pick up a piece of litter – or several!
- Donate blood
- Help someone who can’t reach something on a supermarket shelf
- Offer to share your umbrella with someone.
- Plant a tree or flower in your community
- Take a CPR class—it may come in use in the future!
- Offer a few hours of your time to babysit for busy parents
- Pack an extra lunch and give it to someone who needs it.
- Benefit your health as well as others by asking someone to join you for a walk
- Teach someone a skill that you know
- Conduct some stealth gardening in your area, ridding it of weeds
- Let someone in a hurry cut ahead of you in the queue
- Offer to help a neighbour: walk their dog or clean their brasses
- Give your coat to someone who doesn’t have one
- Donate canned food to a local food bank
- Offer to accompany a friend or neighbour to see a doctor
- Gather old mobile phones and donate them to a charity – why not ask friends or colleagues to do the same?
- Offer to give a lift to someone who needs it
- Stand up on the dart, bus or luas to leave your seat available for others
- Tell someone about a charity or cause you think is worth knowing about
- Make a cup of tea for someone working on your road
- Donate old toys to a children’s shelter
- Give a care package to a homeless person
- Call into a charity or charity shop in your area and ask if there’s anything they’d like you to help them with
- Pass on the Senior Help Line number to someone who might need it
- Call an animal shelter and donate an item that’s in need
- If you aren’t interested in a coupon, give it to the sales clerk to give to someone who is
- Offer to take a photograph for a group of tourists
- Tell someone about a random act of volunteering and encourage them to pass it on!